Sunday, August 19, 2012

VeggieGrill in Beaverton

We finally got to eat at VeggieGrill this weekend for my husband's birthday lunch after helping out at our Blue Star Mother's of Oregon event Run for the Fallen in Portland.

We had heard that VeggieGrill won the LA Times Readers Choice award for best Vegan Restaurant. 
So we felt we had to try it for sure since one opened up not too far from us. 

My 17 yr old son, Avery ordered the Mushroom Pesto burger. He says it was good but very mushroomy. He would have liked more onions, pickles and lettuce.  I tried it... and really liked it since I do LOVE mushrooms ;)

I loved that they did not serve soda. They had 3 different kinds of organic flavor teas and fresh lemonade.


Daniel, my husband ordered the All-American Stack. He was expecting an all American burger taste but it tasted more like a pulled pork sandwich. He also ordered the Chili as an extra side. It was ok,  a bit plain and the beans tasted like they were from a can.


I had the Chicken Fried Steak. It was very tasty, although I felt that the Asian tasting dressing on the kale did not go well with the traditional chicken fried steak and gravy very well. Next time I will order this without the dressing. The dressing would go well with something more like marinated tempeh. I definitely will order this when craving a traditional country fried steak like I used to order at Bob's Big Boy ;)

The chicken patty was nice and thick. It felt pretty close to the real thing... the most real chicken texture and thickness I have ever had.


Sweet potato fries and ranch like dressing was very good, as was their carrot cake.


Price wise it felt a little pricey. For the three of us it was 46$ with tip. That's a tad pricey for us but we are so glad to have more vegan options that I gotta say it's worth it. We got on their birthday club so hopefully that will help a bit having a free meal once in a while.

Overall, the food felt a bit like cafeteria quality comfort food trying to be gourmet. Not necessarily in a bad way since I like like and miss cafeteria food! Can't really compare this place to say Blossoming Lotus in Portland which specializes in vegan and raw gourmet cuisine. We are just glad to have more options and that is what we are going with. Gotta keep trying their menu till we find a favorite. I am looking forward to trying their buffalo wings and their Santa Fe Crispy  Chicken.  So stay tuned ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment